|This article is about the character in the Skylanders series. You may be looking for the swirling columns of wind seen in the Original series.|
- "Twists of Fury!"
- —Whirlwind's official catchphrase
Whirlwind (ウィールウィンド in Japanese) is a blue unicorn-dragon hybrid who is one of the playable Skylanders in the Skylanders series, first appearing in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. She has a winter counterpart called Polar Whirlwind. She also has a Series 3 counterpart called Horn Blast Whirlwind.
Whirlwind is as brave as she is graceful. Her mood swings can be as changeable as the weather, but since becoming a Skylander, she has tried to keep her temper in check. She is strong-willed, wild and ferocious in the heat of battle. Deep down, Whirlwind is pure of heart, having held no grudge against the dragons and unicorns for shunning her and later on, protected the two species from attack.
Whirlwind is an air dragon with unicorn ancestry – two species that could not be more opposite in nature, which made her never quite fit in with either group. Other dragons were envious of her beauty and grace, while her unicorn brethren shunned her for her unusual appearance and ability to fly. But Whirlwind found peace within the dark and stormy clouds, where she learned to harness the tempest power within her. Despite her turbulent youth, she remained pure of heart and was the first to defend both dragons and unicorns when the trolls began hunting them, unleashing her ferocity in a brilliant and powerful rainbow that could be seen throughout many regions of Skylands. From that day forward, evil-doers would quake when dark clouds brewed, and run from the rainbow that followed the storm.
Born of both unicorn and dragon descent, Whirlwind often felt like an oddball outsider. Unicorns were unimpressed with her wings and dragons disliked the horn on her head. Shunned and seeking solace, Whirlwind retreated to the cover of storm clouds, where she learned to harness her tempest power. When a troublesome troupe of trolls came searching for unicorn tails and dragon scales, Whirlwind burst from her cover and unleashed a blinding rainbow to send them fleeing. From that day on, unicorns and dragons saw her in a new light. Seeing her purity of heart, Master Eon made her a Skylander. Today, nothing makes a troll tremble like a small, stormy cloud moving speedily towards him.
It's also been stated that Whirlwind was the one who found Warnado and brought him to Master Eon, who made him a Skylander as soon as he stopped spinning. Years later, Whirlwind rescued the Frost Elves of Winter Keep from a curse of eternal midnight by enchanting a crystal horn called the Illuminator to grant eternal daylight to the elves. This not only helped break the curse, but also protected the Keep and gave the elves courage during their fight against potential attacks.
As a result of spending time within dark storm clouds, Whirlwind gained the ability to shoot rainbow energy from her horn at her opponents; which can also heal her allies if she gained her Soul Gem ability. She can also launch tempest clouds at her enemies with a clap of her wings. Being part dragon, Whirlwind has the ability to fly.
These are the starting and maximum statistics for this Skylander in the console version of the games.
- Health: 270 (max. 540)
- Speed: 50 (max. 98)
- Armor: 18 (max. 48)
- Critical Hit: 50 (max. 100)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 100)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 65
- Agility: 65
- Defense: 30
- Luck: 75
Powers and Upgrades
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
| Soul Gem Ability|
Requires Soul Gem from:
|Rainbow of Doom||Tempest Cloud||Rainbow of Healing|
Skylanders can buy new abilities from Persephone.
|Rainbow Chain||Triple Tempest||Dragon Flight||Dual Rainbows|
This upgrade path lets you further develop your Rainbow of Doom attacks.
|Double Dose of Doom||Atomic Rainbow||Rainbow Singularity|
This upgrade path lets you further develop your Tempest Cloud attack.
|Triple Rainbow, It's Full On||Tempest Tantrum||Tempest Matrix|
Skylanders gain new abilities automatically based on their level.
- Rainbow Strike (Primary Attack): Whirlwind can shoot bursts of rainbows.
- Tempest Cloud (Secondary Attack): Summon a powerful tempest that damages all nearby enemies.
- Refraction Index (requires level: 3): Fire a Double Rainbow.
- Lightspeed (requires level: 6): Sprint into enemies to damage them.
- Full Spectrum (requires level: 9): Hold and then release to create a Rainbow Singularity. The Singularity will move forward, pulling enemies in, then explode, damaging nearby enemies.
Skylanders get special abilities in minigames based on their element.
|Sky Defense||Castle Assault||Ground Defense|
Create a tornado that makes enemy projectiles spin and hurt other enemies.
Launch a projectile that makes the projectile move upwards instead of falling down.
Create a tornado that stuns and pushes away enemies in range.
- "Twists of Fury!"
- "Hmmm... Impressive!"- When checking stats
- "Bow to my beauty!"
- "The wind howls victory!"
- "Natural Power!"
- "Quite a gust!"-When checking stats
- "How majestic!"
- "I will adore this with pride!"
- "A name worthy of me!"
- "The wind whispers my name!"
- "I shall proceed!"
- "Throw caution to the wind!"- When opening an air elemental zone
- "Gale force!" - when leveling up
- "Felt the wind on my back!"
- "Skyward!"- When bouncing on a bounce pad
- "Away we go!"- When bouncing on a bounce pad
- Whirlwind was originally called Stormee.
- Her early promotional title in her Toy Fair 2011 debut was called "Tempest Dragon."
- She is the third revealed female playable dragon in the Spyro series (the other two being Cynder and Ember, before the reveal of Flashwing in Giants).
- Whirlwind is also the second female playable dragon in Spyro's Adventure (the first being Cynder).
- Like Cynder and Flashwing, Whirlwind has no visible teeth. Incidentally, they are all the only dragon Skylanders in the games who are female.
- No longer a store-exclusive Skylander, Whirlwind is now available in a 3-Skylander Character Pack with Double Trouble and Drill Sergeant and is also available in a single pack, and as a Series 2 figure, a 3-Skylander Character Pack with Pop Fizz and S2 Trigger Happy.
- Her catchphrase is a play on "Fists of Fury!".
- She and Prism Break are the only two Skylanders in Spyro's Adventure who can break Purple Tzo Crystals.
- In Giants, however, Whirlwind's ability to destroy the crystals is disabled.
- Whirlwind can also use her rainbow energy to heal her friends in battle.
- She bears a few similarities to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic character, Rainbow Dash.
- When shooting a rainbow once the Rainbow of Healing uprade is purchased and as a Series 2 figure, Whirlwind's unicorn horn is colored from yellow and pink.
- When she obtains the Wow-Pow ability, Whirlwind's horn begins glowing in colors of the rainbow.
- The Tempest Matrix upgrade resembles the Arkeyan Blasters from Spyro's Adventure.
- Whirlwind shares her name with a Marvel character.
- Her Series 3 counterpart, Hornblast Whirlwind, is wearing a gold helmet and a chestplate.
- Her ability to heal others but not heal herself is similar to Toon-up gags in Toontown Online.
|Spyro - Sparx - Hunter - Sgt Byrd - Agent 9 - Sheila - Bentley - Blink|
|The Legend of Spyro series|
|Spyro - Cynder|
|Spyro the Dragon (Dark) (Legendary) - Gill Grunt - Trigger Happy (Legendary) - Cynder - Terrafin|
Stealth Elf (Legendary) - Chop Chop (Legendary) - Eruptor - Ignitor (Legendary) - Prism Break - Stump Smash
Flameslinger - Zap - Ghost Roaster - Voodood - Bash (Legendary) - Sonic Boom
- Drobot - Boomer - Whirlwind (Polar) - Dino-Rang - Zook - Wrecking Ball - Sunburn - Camo
Wham-Shell - Slam Bam (Legendary) - Drill Sergeant - Lightning Rod - Warnado -
Double Trouble (Royal) - Hex