|Species:|| Rider (Elf)|
Fright (Skeletal Ostrich)
|Appearances:|| Skylanders: Giants |
Skylanders: Swap Force
|Cameos:||Skylanders: Gill Grunt and the Curse of the Fish Master|
|Attacks/Actions:|| Melee Attacks |
|English Voice Actor:||Yuri Lowenthal|
|First Release:||Skylanders: Giants|
- "Fear the Spear!"
- —Fright Rider's official catchphrase
Rider and his magnificent ostrich, Fright, were the finest jousting team in all of Skylands. But after winning the championship for the third straight year, a jealous competitor placed a curse on the elf that sent him to the land of Undead. Not wanting to be without his partner, Fright, who up until this point had been afraid of nearly everything, ate a bag of skele-oats that turned him into a skeleton so that he could brace the journey to the underworld to save his friend. Grateful for being rescued, Fright Rider returned to the surface dedicated to helping others - while still dominating an occasional jousting tournament from time to time.
Skylanders: Gill Grunt and the Curse of the Fish Master
|WARNING: This section contains spoilers below! (Skip section)|
As the Skylanders finished repairing the walls of the Eternal Archives, Fright Rider was mentioned as one of the Skylanders present during its restoration. As Gill Grunt was about to sing a song about their accomplishment, Rider quickly got onto his skeletal steed, Fright, and rode off into the distance to avoid hearing the Gillman's horrible singing.
|Spoilers end here.|
Fright Rider has a different variety of attacks as they are composed of two different characters in one playable character. Rider can attack by ramming his spear at enemies while riding Fright, and can leap off of his mount to attack them on foot momentarily. The skeletal ostrich, Fright, can bite at enemies and can burrow him and Rider underground, using Rider's spear to to cut their opponents above them. Now being an undead ostrich, Fright can burrow his head and summon multiple copies of his head to attack surrounding enemies.
Fright Rider's Jousting Charge is a unique skill set. It bestows excellent maneuverability that more than makes up for his low armor and average health. For that reason, Joust Jockey is the preferred upgrade path. That said, if you are in need of a competent melee Skylander, Fright Rider can fill that role nicely with the Sire Lance A Lot upgrades. Of particular interest is the Flock of Fury attack which grants an effective medium-range area-of-effect attack.
These are the starting and maximum statistics for this Skylander in the console version of the games.
- Health: 270 (max. 540)
- Speed: 43 (max. 91)
- Armor: 12 (max. 42)
- Critical Hit: 30 (max. 80)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 100)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 80
- Agility: 90
- Defense: 70
- Luck: 30
Powers and Upgrades
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
| Soul Gem Ability|
Requires Soul Gem from:
| Wow Pow Power|
|Melee Attacks||Jousting Charge||A Real Drag||None|
Skylanders can buy new abilities from Persephone.
|Ghoul Glaive||Burrow Bomber||Phantasm Strike||Halberd of Horror|
Sir Lance A Lot
Further develop Fright Rider's melee combat skills.
|Fright Rider Combos||Flock of Fury||Supreme Spear|
Further develop Jousting Charge abilities.
|Joust Juice||Entombment Strike||360 Degrees of Spear|
Skylanders gain new abilities automatically based on their level.
- Melee Combo (Primary Attack): Press Y to perform a bite and spear attack.
- Bird Head Dive (Secondary Attack): Press X to dive the bird's head into the ground and attack an enemy at a ranged distance.
- Unknown (requires level: 3): Unknown
- Unknown (requires level: 6): Unknown
- Unknown (requires level: 9): Unknown
Skylanders get special abilities in minigames based on their element.
|Sky Defense||Castle Assault||Ground Defense|
Curse enemies in range and make them more vulnerable to attacks for a certain time.
Launch a projectile that accelerates to a high velocity instantly.
Curse enemies in range and inflict damage.
- "Fear the Spear!"
- "Ride like the wind!"
- "Charge ahead!"
- "Let's ride!"
- "Let's joust!"
- "We reign as champions!"
- "A hat fit for a champion!" - Putting on a hat
- "Let's ride in!" - Opening an elmemental gate
- "No matter what you call us, we are still champions!" - when given a nickname
- "I like the new name! ...not...sure about Ozzy though....." -when given a nickname
- "These are the numbers of Champions!" - Checking out stats.
- Fright Rider's catchphrase is similar to Hex's, whose catchphrase is 'Fear the Dark!, and Gill Grunt's catchphrase 'Fear the Fish!'
- Fright Rider, along with Eye-Brawl, are two Skylanders who are composed of two different characters.
- Fright and the Headless part of Eye-Brawl are the only Skylanders who can't talk.
- In the primary combo, burrow move, and Flock of Fury attack; Fright sticks his head in the ground. This is a refrence to the misconception that real ostritches poke their heads in the ground.
- Fright Rider and Sprocket are the only new normal Skylanders who don't have an additional counterpart, even a LightCore.
- Rider speaks with an English accent, likely as reference to fact that jousting was a major sport in medieval England (and other European countries).
- Rider is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who is best known for voicing Teenage Ben Tennyson from the later Ben 10 series, Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto, and Spider-Man from Super Hero Squad Online. He also voiced Sir Galleth Cooper in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.
- Coincidentally, both Rider and Sir Galleth speak with English accents.
|Spyro - Sparx - Hunter - Sgt Byrd - Agent 9 - Sheila - Bentley - Blink|
|The Legend of Spyro series|
|Spyro - Cynder|
|Spyro the Dragon (Dark) (Legendary) - Gill Grunt - Trigger Happy (Legendary) - Cynder - Terrafin|
- Stealth Elf (Legendary) - Chop Chop (Legendary) - Eruptor - Ignitor (Legendary) - Prism Break - Stump Smash - Flameslinger - Zap - Ghost Roaster - Voodood - Bash (Legendary) - Sonic Boom
- Drobot - Boomer - Whirlwind (Polar) - Dino-Rang - Zook - Wrecking Ball - Sunburn - Camo - Wham-Shell - Slam Bam (Legendary) - Drill Sergeant - Lightning Rod - Warnado -
Double Trouble (Royal) - Hex - Pop Fizz (Punch) - Jet-Vac (Legendary) - Shroomboom - Chill (Legendary) -
Flashwing (Jade) - Sprocket - Fright Rider - Hot Dog (Molten)
Roller Brawl - Countdown