|Appearances:|| Skylanders: Giants |
Skylanders: Swap Force
|Attacks/Actions:|| Anchor Assault |
A Whale Of A Chomp
The Whalest Chomp
Now There's An Anchor!
|English Voice Actor:||Dan Neil|
|First Release:||Skylanders: Giants|
- "Hail to the Whale!"
- —Thumpback's official catchphrase
Thumpback was once a crew member of The Phantom Tide, the most fearsome pirate ship in all of Skylands. But the actual pirating part about being a pirate didn't interest Thumpback so much as the benefits that came with traveling on a large ship. After all, his real passion was fishing. But when his chance came to finally ensnare the most elusive creature in the sky - the Leviathan Cloud Crab - he was pulled over board and carried off into the horizon. This was actually quite fortunate, because sometime later The Phantom Tide and its entire crew were banished to the Chest of Exile. Thumpback’s pirating days were over, but his legend as one of the first Skylanders had only just begun.
Thumpback was a former pirate knave who sailed aboard the dreaded Phantom Tide. Despite being in league with the pirates, he wasn't all that keen on skulduggery and spent most of his days fishing, as his passion was angling. Once when trying to reel in the fabled Leviathan Cloud Crab, Thumpback was pulled overboard and carried far away. This turned out to be an incredible stroke of luck, as soon afterward, The Phantom Tide was banished to the Chest of Exile where it remains to this day. Thumpback's days as a pirate came to an end, but he eventually became part of a league of giant, legendary heroes called the Giants to fight against Arkeyan tyranny.
Thumpback, along with the other Giants, participated in the fight against the Arkeyans for the freedom of Skylands. To truly stop their tyrannical foe, the Giants confronted the Arkeyan King himself and his army of War Machines. Although they were victorious in their battle against the Arkeyans and ended their reign of terror, the Iron Fist of Arkus used the last of its remaining powers to sweep all eight Giants from Skylands and banished them to Earth, where they would remain for 10,000 years.
Thumpback represents the Water element in a big way. He has a huge anchor-based melee attack and crushing (literally) alternate attacks. Thumpback's regular melee attacks has excellent range, and can hit enemies halfway across the screen. Additionally, Thumpback can slide on his belly, quickly dashing by enemies, but inflicting huge damage on the way. He also has a massively damaging Chomp attack that can crush enemies at close-range.
Thumpback's anchor attack is massively powerful in both damage and range in the Anchor's A Yay!! path, improving the attack with extra combos and even more damage makes him as effective as possible in combat.
These are the starting and maximum statistics for this Skylander in the console version of the games.
- Health: 460 (max. 920)
- Speed: 20 (max. 68)
- Armor: 30 (max. 60)
- Critical Hit: 25 (max. 75)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 100)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 150
- Agility: 60
- Defense: 150
- Luck: 40
Powers and Upgrades
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
| Soul Gem Ability|
Requires Soul Gem from:
| Wow Pow Power|
|Anchor Assault||Belly Flop||Blowhard||None|
Skylanders can buy new abilities from Persephone.
|A Whale Of A Chomp||Slippery Belly||The Whalest Chomp||Now There's An Anchor!|
Provides more upgrades for the Anchor attacks.
|Thumpback Combos||Bermuda Triangle||Ultimate Anchor|
Up Close And Personal
Provides more upgrades for the Belly Flop and Chomp attacks.
|Breakfast in Bed||Armor Of The Sea||Bad Sushi|
Skylanders gain new abilities automatically based on their level.
- Anchor Assault (Primary Attack): Press Y repeatedly to hit enemies with your anchor.
- Grappling Iron (Secondary Attack): Press X to grapple enemies and pull them towards you. If you pull the enemy close enough, you will give them an extra smack with the side of your anchor!
- Ranged Anchor Assault (requires level: 3): Press Y to do ranged version of an Anchor Assault move.
- Whalecopter (requires level: 6): Hold the jump button to use your anchor as a helicopter blade. You can't fly, but you will get a little extra air time!
- Chomp! (requires level: 9): While sprinting, you will now chomp on enemies in your way. Enemies in range of your giant jaw will take massive damage and you will regain held for enemies you defeat.
Skylanders get special abilities in minigames based on their element.
|Sky Defense||Castle Assault||Ground Defense|
Freeze enemies in range so they cannot move for a certain time.
Launch a projectile that splits the projectile in three ice spikes.
Freeze enemies in range so they can't move for a certain time.
- "Hail to the Whale!"
- "Turning the tide!"
- "You're in the splash zone!"
- "The whale will prevail!"
- "Sea Spin!"
- "Time to drop anchor!"
- "Let's make some waves!"
- "Ho! Ho! Splash down!"
- "Ahoy!" - When using a bounce pad
- "Oh! Success!" - When opening a gate
- "Oh, a fine place to drop anchor!" - After finding a Water Elemental Zone
- "You got thumped!"
- "Barrier breached!" - When opening a gate
- "Tide rolling in!"
- "Whale power!"
- "Anchors away!" - When smashing a hole in the ground
- "Woohoo! Big in mighty numbers!" - When checking stats
- "A sea of strength!" - When checking stats
- "Not bad, I hope it fits my big head." - When given a hat
- "An interesting look for me." - When given a hat
- "Not bad." - When given a nickname
- "Sounds big, I like it!" - When given a nickname
- "Don't make me drop anchor!" - Face Off TV Commercial
- "You got lucky this time, shell face!"
- "Hail to the Mail!" - Skylanders: Giants Easter Surprise promo
- While Thumpback speaks with normal accent in the commercials, he speaks with a deep, thick Scottish accent in the game.
- It is rumored that six fully grown Skylanders could fit inside Thumpback's mouth. Not that they'd want to.
- His name is a play on the animal "Humpback Whale", which he is also based on.
- Additionally, he and Swarm are the only giants based off real-life animals.
- Thumpback's elemental symbol is on a plate on his back.
- The Soul Gem name "Blowhard" is also the name of a boss in the game, Spyro the Dragon.
- Blowhard is also a Scottish word for someone who boasts a lot.
- He and Slam Bam both make two splashes on their water pedestals.
- Thumpback and Hot Head are the only two giants whose eyes don't light up.
- He is the only Skylander who has an upgrade for just one of his combos.
- When he swims, he submerges underwater instead of showing up above. Also, when he obtains his Soul Gem upgrade, he can perform the Blowhard attack. He can also chomp while swimming and shoot starfishes out of his blowhole.
- He's the only Skylander who resembles a sea mammal.
- He bears a resemblance to Kratos, the protagonist of the God of War Series as both Thumpback's anchor and the Blades of Chaos (Kratos's main weapon) are bounded by chains.
- Unless his plates are embedded in his shoulders, the shoulder and back plates would drag along the ground after falling and hanging from his lifesaver underwear.
- His Heroic Challenge "The King's Breech" is a pun on "The King's Speech".
- Even after he gets the "Ultimate Anchor" upgrade, the Skylander Info page always shows him with his "Now There's An Anchor!" upgrade.
- ↑ Skylanders 3 - Paul Reiche Talks Bafta, Lasers, Light-sensors, Voice, GPS and Boomer (FGTV 2.62), 16:50
- ↑ Skylanders Universe: Book of Elements - Fire and Water, page 50
|Spyro - Sparx - Hunter - Sgt Byrd - Agent 9 - Sheila - Bentley - Blink|
|The Legend of Spyro series|
|Spyro - Cynder|
|Spyro the Dragon (Dark) (Legendary) - Gill Grunt - Trigger Happy (Legendary) - Cynder - Terrafin|
- Stealth Elf (Legendary) - Chop Chop (Legendary) - Eruptor - Ignitor (Legendary) - Prism Break - Stump Smash - Flameslinger - Zap - Ghost Roaster - Voodood - Bash (Legendary) - Sonic Boom
- Drobot - Boomer - Whirlwind (Polar) - Dino-Rang - Zook - Wrecking Ball - Sunburn - Camo - Wham-Shell - Slam Bam (Legendary) - Drill Sergeant - Lightning Rod - Warnado -
Double Trouble (Royal) - Hex - Pop Fizz (Punch) - Jet-Vac (Legendary) - Shroomboom - Chill (Legendary) -
Flashwing (Jade) - Sprocket - Fright Rider - Hot Dog (Molten)
Roller Brawl - Countdown