|This article is about the character from the Skylanders series. You may be looking for the character from the classic series or The Legend of Spyro series.|
|Appearances:|| Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |
Skylanders: Cloud Patrol
Skylanders: The Machine of Doom
|Attacks/Actions:|| Fire Breath |
|English Voice Actor:||Josh Keaton|
- "All Fired Up!"
- —Spyro's official catchphrase
Spyro (スパイロ Supairo in Japanese) is one of the playable Skylanders in the Skylanders series. He first appeared in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure as the title character, and has a Dark and a Legendary counterpart.
Although eager and young at heart, Spyro is a strong-willed dragon who is fearless and brave; a true hero dedicated to defending his world from all things evil. He has encyclopedic knowledge of all the islands in Skylands, more so than any other Skylander. He is always up for adventure, his favorite kind being treasure hunts.
Although he is well in the company of his companions, Spyro also possesses a headstrong and impulsive side. He believes that he can do everything by himself as he was used to doing heroics solo prior to being Skylander, thus resulted in him struggling to work in a team at first (with his friends always reminding Spyro that he doesn't have to do everything by himself). Overtime, Spyro developed into the greatest leader Skylands has ever known.
Spyro hails from a rare line of magical purple dragons that come from a faraway land few have ever traveled. It's been said that the Scrolls of the Ancients mention Spyro prominently -- the old Portal Masters having chronicled his many exciting adventures and heroic deeds. Finally, it was Master Eon himself who reached out and invited him to join the Skylanders. Now calling Skylands his home, Spyro remains one of its most valued protectors, with evil facing a new enemy -- and the Skylanders gaining a valued ally.
Spyro is the great, stout-hearted hero of legend, not to mention the number one defender of Skylands. Hailing from a rare race of magic purple dragons, Spyro was born in a land far away from Skylands' furthest frontiers. From a young age, Spyro became a battler for good; a warrior against evil and protector of the peace. His fearless exploits and heroic adventures were even recorded in the Scrolls of the Ancients (and those Ancients didn't keep a record of just any old thing). One of the many Portal Masters who watched Spyro's success with acclaim and applause was the bearded legend himself, Master Eon. It was Eon who transported Spyro through the Portal of Power to his citadel at the Core of Light. Here, Spyro met the Skylanders squad and swiftly agreed to join them in battling all things nasty.
While being one of the Skylanders, Spyro defeated the evil dragon Cynder when she was spreading fear throughout the land for many years, freeing her from the sinister control of the Undead Dragon King, Malefor. He convinced Master Eon to sign Cynder up as one of the Skylanders after she vowed to fight for good. Spyro was also the one who inspired Lightning Rod to become a Skylander after telling the storm giant his stories of faraway places and dangerous adventures.
|WARNING: This section contains spoilers below! (Skip section)|
Spyro, Gill Grunt, Eruptor and Boomer were on Eon's Island with the other Skylanders listening to Gill Grunt's special concert, much to their discomfort. Shortly afterwards, Flynn and Hugo crashlanded in their hot air balloon nearby, with Spyro having to save Boomer from where the balloon was going to crash due to the troll having put dynamite in his ears to mute out Gill Grunt's singing. Hugo informed the Skylanders and Master Eon urgent news of flying sheep attacking the Mabu Market, though the Skylanders didn't believe it at first until they saw an image from Eon's portal of the market being attacked. Master Eon tasked Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Eruptor to go to the Mabu Market to find out what was going on.
After reaching the Market, Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Eruptor found out that the sheep weren't really flying, but were being carried by invisible trolls who were led by a Spell Punk. While the other Skylanders fought the trolls, Spyro went after the Spell Punk nearby and pinned him down, forcing the wizard to reveal that he and the trolls were testing out an invisibility spell, but the trolls wanted to cause mayhem, therefore drawing attention to themselves. The Spell Punk then accidentally blurted out they were looking for an item called the Chattering Key. Appearing as a frightening projection of his head, Kaos scolded the Spell Punk, and transported the wizard and the remaining trolls back to his lair. Spyro confronted the floating head of Kaos and demanded to know why he is after the Chattering Key. The evil Portal Master refused to answer the young dragon and disappeared.
Back on Eon's Island, Spyro learned from Hugo that the Arkeyans created the Chattering Key as an artifact used to opening a tomb that contained an ancient Arkeyan weapon. Knowing that Kaos would go after such a weapon, Spyro, Gill Grunt, Boomer, and Eruptor decided to get the Key before Kaos did. Using Flynn to transport them to their next destination, the four Skylanders embarked on a journey to the Forest of Fear where the Key was held. They soon came in contact with the Fungus Rings of Despair that laid within the forest, trapping them in hallucinations of their worst fears. Spyro's irrational fear came to life as he saw Master Eon in chains and being tortured by Kaos, who was absolute ruler of Skylands and the universe. The young dragon broke free of his fear by blasting fire at the Kaos hallucination, and freed the other Skylanders from the grip of the Fungus Rings of Despair.
The Skylanders soon found the Chattering Key, which was being guarded by the statue of a stone wyvern called Fido. Spyro devised a plan, and Gill Grunt, Boomer, and Eruptor confused the stone wyvern enough for the young dragon to snag the Key, and the Skylanders made a quick getaway with Fido in hot pursuit. Before they can leave with the key, Kaos appeared with a group of trolls, having captured Flynn. The evil tyrant revealed that he had used the Skylanders to brave the terrors of the Forest of Fear so that he can steal the key from them, and was willing to release Flynn in exchange for it.
Not wanting to endanger Flynn's life for the sake of their mission, Spyro gave Kaos the Chattering Key, and the tyrant summoned a tomb of the Pyramid of Just Rewards that contained the Arkeyan weapon, the Machine of Doom. Kaos opened the tomb, activating one of its pillars that destroyed the advancing Fido with a beam of light. The evil Portal Master then used Flynn as a hostage to keep the Skylanders from following him. With the help from the Chattering Key, Spyro and the Skylanders ventured inside the pyramid through the other side where they came across the Machine of Doom itself. As Kaos reached the Machine, Boomer eagerly tried to control the evil contraption to use it against Kaos, but instead the weapon itself began to break apart and pyramid around them started to crumble. As Kaos laughed maniacally at Boomer trying to control the Machine of Doom, Spyro was the only one who figured out Kaos' real scheme.The machine was really a trap designed by the Arkeyans to capture anyone who might be tempted to steal a weapon capable of destroying the Core of Light, knowing that anyone who braved their worst nightmares in the Forest of Fear, got the Chattering Key from Fido, and crazy enough to climb into an all-powerful super weapon was too dangerous to walk free. Kaos tricked the Skylanders into seizing the Machine of Doom therefore springing the trap, intending to bury the heroes alive. As Kaos and his minions were making their escape as the pyramid crumbles around them, Flynn is rescued during the chaos. Spyro attempted to stop Kaos from escaping in his transport portal, but failed when the tyrant fired a magic lightning bolt at the young dragon.
Boomer, having gained full control over the Machine of Doom, used the mechanical titan to destroy the portal that Kaos was about escape in, and soon used the machine as a way to get out of the crumbling pyramid. Despite knowing that Kaos deserved to be left inside the pyramid in the very trap the tyrant tried to spring on the heroes, Spyro recalled Master Eon's ways on what the old Portal Master would do in a situation like that. Making his decision, the young dragon saved Kaos from being buried alive, and the Skylanders narrowly made their escape just as the pyramid crumbled down into a pit.
The Machine of Doom broke apart as a result of their escape, and the Skylanders landed outside of the crumbled remains of the pyramid while Kaos made his exit unnoticed. Spyro, Gill Grunt, Eruptor, and Boomer were then greeted by Master Eon, whom Spyro informed that he and the other Skylanders had underestimated Kaos, but the young dragon declared that he won't do it again. Although Kaos had been stopped, Spyro knew that this was only the beginning since the evil Portal Master would strike again, but also knew that next time, they would be ready. The young dragon then celebrated their victory as Gill Grunt began to sing a song again.
|Spoilers end here.|
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Spyro and Trigger Happy were present with their leader, Master Eon, when Kaos and The Darkness approached. When Kaos summoned his minions to destroy the Core of Light, Spyro was the first to charge into battle before the other present Skylanders, taking out several red Cyclops Choppers and Trolls with his horns before taking airborne to fight the enemies from the air. He is briefly seen during the fight flying in the background while being chased down by a Cyclops Mammoth.
Despite their best efforts however, Kaos destroyed the Core of Light using his Hydra. Spyro, along with the other Skylanders, were banished from Skylands to Earth, where they were turned into toys as a result of that world having no magic, waiting for the new Portal Master to help them save Skylands. Eventually, the new Portal Master was called upon by Master Eon, who survived the destruction of the Core but became a spirit as a result.
After Kaos was defeated, Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Trigger Happy were the only Skylanders present at the Ruins with Flynn, Cali, Hugo, and Master Eon, listening to Kaos making idle threats in his temporary prison. The three Skylanders all shared a knowing glance to one another, as Kaos rambled on vowing that he'll keep returning until Skylands was his if he was to be banished to the Outlands again. Instead, Kaos was banished to Earth where he was turned into a toy, and shortly after his departure, Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Trigger Happy celebrated their victory together.
Gill GruntSpyro is best friends with Gill Grunt. As a result of being few of the first modern Skylanders, Gill Grunt and Spyro have been working together a little longer than some of the other Skylanders, forming a friendship based on longevity and more shared experiences; both having defended Skylands from darkness and tyranny on countless occasions. According to Spyro, Gill Grunt is the bravest Gillman he had ever met.
Although Gill Grunt's dreadful singing makes the young dragon's scales tremble, Spyro, like the other Skylanders, are just too fond of the blue Gillman to tell him the truth that he sounded like a bullfrog gargling stale jelly.
Other than Gill Grunt, Spyro is also best friends with Trigger Happy, having worked together with the gremlin since their days as the first few modern Skylanders. Their friendship is based on longetivity and their shared experiences with each other. In addition to their friendship, Spyro calls Trigger Happy by the nickname of 'Trigg' (in media and commercials).
Spyro is extremely loyal to the old Portal Master. The young dragon looks up to Master Eon, viewing him as a mentor. Unfortunately, ever since he'd met Eon, Spyro had been afraid that one day the old Portal Master would fall to Kaos. His worst nightmare came to life in The Machine of Doom as an hallucination when Spyro was affected by the spores of the Fungus Rings of Despair. He was forced to watch Master Eon being tortured by Kaos, while the young dragon could do nothing to help his mentor. It was until Spyro broke through the hallucination did he free himself from his worst nightmare.
As a result of learning from Master Eon, the old Portal Master's ways influenced Spyro to save his archenemy, Kaos, from a fate the evil tyrant tried to bring upon the young dragon and three of his Skylander friends in The Machine of Doom, despite Spyro wanting to leave Kaos in the very trap he tried to spring.
Spyro, like all in Skylands, hates the Kaos, the villainous Portal Master who is also the Skylanders' archenemy. The young dragon shudders at the thought of Kaos ruling Skylands and the universe, and Spyro would do whatever it takes to stop the evil Portal Master from fulfilling his evil plans. Although Kaos was a joke at a basic level, Spyro however underestimated Kaos' seriousness as a villain, and discovers the evil Portal Master's inner deviousness in The Machine of Doom, revealing to the young dragon that Kaos can be a dangerous adversary.
Being a rare purple dragon associated with the Magic element, Spyro has the ability to harness the power of the other elements, though he prefers to master fire. He can also combine the powers of The Darkness with his own to become Dark Spyro. Using his horns, and infusing them with the element of fire, Spyro can charge at his enemies and knock down obstacles.
Being a dragon, Spyro also has the ability to fly.
In gameplay terms, Spyro is a versatile character, being both effective at close range combat with his Charge and Earth Pound attacks, and capable at mid and long-range combat with his Flameballs. He is notably one of the fastest and most agile Skylanders in the game, especially when taking into account his Flight and Charge abilities. His upgrade paths either let him specialize in large area of effect damage with his Flameball's firebreath, or adding additional strength to his Charge.
These are the starting and maximum statistics for this Skylander in the console version of the games.
- Health: 280 (max. 560)
- Speed: 50 (max. 98)
- Armor: 18 (max. 48)
- Critical Hit: 30 (max. 80)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 100)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 60
- Agility: 90
- Defense: 50
- Luck: 60
Powers and Upgrades
| Basic Abilities|
Spyro can defeat Rotting Robbies with his fireball attacks.
| Soul Gem Ability|
Requires Soul Gem from:
| Wow Pow Power|
|Dragon's Fire||Charge||Spyro's Earth Pound||wowpowname|
Skylanders can buy new abilities from Persephone.
|Long Range Raze||Spyro's Flight||Sprint Charge||Triple Flameballs|
Sheep Burner Spyro
This upgrade path lets you further develop your Flameball attacks.
|Fire Shield||Exploding Fireblast||The Daybringer Flame|
This upgrade path lets you further develop your Charging attacks.
|Stun Charge||Comet Dash||Ibex's Wrath Charge|
Skylanders gain new abilities automatically based on their level.
- Dragon's Fire (Primary Attack): Spyro can shoot a fireball.
- Horn Blast (Secondary Attack): Unleash a blast of magical energy from Spyro's horns.
- Spiky Sprint (requires level: 2): Sprint into enemies to damage them with Spyro's horns.
- Horn Havoc (requires level: 5): Hit an enemy with a Horn Blast to charge Spyro's horns with energy. While charged, Dragon Fire and Spiky Sprint will deal more damage.
- Fiery Frenzy (requires level: 8): Spyro can now fire three fireballs and charge up to shoot a giant fireball.
Skylanders get special abilities in minigames based on their element.
|Sky Defense||Castle Assault||Ground Defense|
Create a vortex that pulls enemies in.
Launch a projectile that creates a magic area that disintegrates blocks.
Create a vortex that pulls enemies in and inflicts damage.
- "To defend all!"
- "Don't dare the dragon!"
- "It's showtime!"
- "Defend one and all!"
- "Adventure calls!"
- "For Skylands!"
- "All Fired Up!"
- "Never back down!"
- "Can't handle the horns!"
- "Born to battle!"
- "Oh Yeah!"
- "Mess with the dragon, you get the horns!"
- "Skylanders! To battle!" (in Boomtime advert)
- "Zook's gotta get through that gate." (in Blow It Up commercial)
- "Let's rock and roll!" (In the Beginning Trailer)
- "What do you say we teach big head a little lesson?" (In the Beginning Trailer)
- "Game on!"
- "What should we do today? We could go swimming, we could go to the lava pits, or we could go fishing... Nah, that's kinda weird though, since you're a fish..."
- "This fish ain't flopping around!" (in 'Fins' TV commerical)
International Voice Actors
- Danish = (unsure)
- Finnish = (unsure)
- Swedish = (unsure)
- Norwegian = (unsure)
- Dutch = (unsure)
- French = Damien Ferrette
- German = Marius Clarén
- Italian = Ruggero Andreozzi
- Spanish = Ángel De Gracia
- Russian = (unsure)
- Spyro is considered by the development team of Skylanders as being the spritual foundation of the Skylanders series.
- Spyro is one of the three known characters, besides Cynder, Dark Spyro, and Sparx, from the Legend series and the original Spyro series to appear in Skylanders.
- Whenever Spyro breathes fire in-game, a ring of purple magical energy is released from his mouth as well, which hints that Spyro uses the element of Magic to breathe the element of Fire.
- A lot of fans thought that Spyro wasn't going to talk in Skylanders due to numerous early gameplay videos of him using his original gibberish language. His English voice, provided by Josh Keaton, was later revealed in one of his Character Trailers.
- Although he doesn't talk in the game cutscenes like the rest of the Skylanders in the game of Spyro's Adventure (due to Toys for Bob's original idea of having the Skylanders speak their own gibberish language), Spyro does talk when he is released from his toy form.
- Spyro in Skylanders is noted by the developers as not being the same Spyro most fans grew up with, but is a different Spyro created for the new younger target audience who have no prior knowledge who Spyro is.
- Dragonbunnies have the same apperance qualities as Spyro.
- In Spyro's biography in Skylanders, it mentioned that Spyro came from "a rare line of magical purple dragons". This is a reference to the Purple Dragon of Legend prophecy that occured only in the Legend of Spyro series.
- His biography also mentions that he has been on 'many exciting adventures', which references the Original Spyro's adventures in the original Spyro series.
- Although his second promotional art shows Spyro's claws are white; in the final version of the game, they are yellow but in his toy form, his claws are purple.
- Spyro's design in Skylanders is widely hated by the majority of the older Spyro fanbase, who wanted Spyro to stay true to either his Classic design or his Legend of Spyro design. Most fans even hate Skylanders solely because of Spyro's redesign.
- Unlike his Classic and Legend counterpart, Spyro's eyes are red, and not purple.
- He also has a forked tongue in Skylanders, which is a traditional feature in dragons of folklore and other adaptions, although so far, he is only shown to have a forked tongue in his CGI look.
- While Spyro's CGI version and toy form have two colors on his wings (with purple on top and completely yellow underneath), his in-game version doesn't possess that detail.
- Spyro is the only known Skylander to have three forms (Spyro, Legendary Spyro, and Dark Spyro).
- He is also the only Skylander to have a dark form.
- It is unknown if he and Cynder have a relationship in the Skylanders series.
- He's the only Skylander from the console starter packs of Spyro's Adventure who doesn't have a sidekick counterpart.
|Spyro - Sparx - Hunter - Sgt Byrd - Agent 9 - Sheila - Bentley - Blink|
|The Legend of Spyro series|
|Spyro - Cynder|
|Spyro the Dragon (Dark) (Legendary) - Gill Grunt - Trigger Happy (Legendary) - Cynder - Terrafin|
- Stealth Elf (Legendary) - Chop Chop (Legendary) - Eruptor - Ignitor (Legendary) - Prism Break - Stump Smash - Flameslinger - Zap - Ghost Roaster - Voodood - Bash (Legendary) - Sonic Boom
- Drobot - Boomer - Whirlwind (Polar) - Dino-Rang - Zook - Wrecking Ball - Sunburn - Camo - Wham-Shell - Slam Bam (Legendary) - Drill Sergeant - Lightning Rod - Warnado -
Double Trouble (Royal) - Hex - Pop Fizz (Punch) - Jet-Vac (Legendary) - Shroomboom - Chill (Legendary) -
Flashwing (Jade) - Sprocket - Fright Rider - Hot Dog (Molten)
Roller Brawl - Countdown