|Species:||Rhynocorus Riptosaurus (Dinosaur)|
|Appearances:|| Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!|
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
Spyro 2: Season of Flame
Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs
Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy
|Cameos:|| Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Epilogue)|
Spyro: Shadow Legacy (Mentioned)
|English Voice Actor:||Gregg Berger (1999, 2002)|
|Japanese Voice Actor:||Kenji Utsumi (1999)|
- "A dragon? You brought a dragon to Avalar?! I hate DRAGONS! NAAAARRGGGHHH!"
Ripto (リプトー Riputō in Japanese) is a short Dinosaur and one of Spyro's greatest opponents in the Spyro series, who first appeared in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!. He is a persistent enemy of Spyro, appearing in several games. Ripto has two minions, Crush and Gulp, who serve him and carry out his orders.
Ripto is a despicable madman who enjoys power simply for the sake of it. He delights in causing all sorts of trouble and havoc with his magic, and is known for his general digust for Dragons. In truth, Ripto despised his small stature, and he took it out on the world to prove that his wrath was much bigger and scarier than his modest size suggested. Frustrated, short tempered and spiteful, Ripto pulled off deception and trouble that would suit a large, intimidating creature. One thing is for certain: he's an ill-tempered villain who despises being called short (this is displayed when Spyro called him "shorty").
Ripto's only known ability is to conjure various magic spells at his disposal using his scepter. However, as a dinosaur, he was unable to properly use magic like Dragons do.
As a Riptoc who hated dragons, Ripto enlisted Crush and Gulp at Molten Crater in order to help him wage war on their race. When attempting to warp from one world to another, the threesome were accidentally intercepted by the Super Portal in Avalar thanks to Hunter's mistake. Upon arrival, Ripto set about enslaving Avalar and all of its realms. Thinking fast, Elora took measures to hinder his progress, shutting down the Super Portal to prevent reinforcements from arriving, and delegating Zoe and her fellow fairies to scatter the orbs (which power it) across all the realms of Avalar.Sometime afterwards, Ripto trailed Hunter, Elora, the Professor, and Zoe to the depths of the Glimmer and watched them summon a dragon (who turned out to be Spyro) by means of a portal. After destroying the portal that brought Spyro into Avalar, Ripto became enraged at the sight of the dragon. The tyrant is forced to retreat, however, when Gulp accidentally devoured his scepter, but not before vowing to deal with Spyro later.
During his reign in Avalar, Ripto succeeded in turning the citizens of some of the realms against each other, causing outbreaks of war between some realms and within others. These quarrels are soon resolved by Spyro when he travels to each realm and intervenes. Spyro battled and defeated Crush and Gulp successfully. At the climax of Spyro's battle with Gulp, Ripto seemingly met his end when the throne he was sitting on tilted back and he plummeted into the abyss of the Autumn Plains homeworld.
However, Spyro discovered that Ripto survived, managing to steal the Super Portal's power crystal for a new scepter before locking himself into the castle in the Winter Tundra. In his arena, Ripto tried to test the power crystal on his new scepter on three sheep, but the fodder ran off before the tyrant's attack could reach them, angering him. Spyro arrived and volunteered to be a target for Ripto's power crystal, mockingly promising to stand still. Ripto agrees but finds that Spyro is prepared to fight to the bitter end. During their final battle, Ripto revealed his magically-created, mechanized version of Gulp, as well as a large mechanical bird, both of which he used for attacking and protection throughout the conflict. However, Spyro ultimately triumphed by knocking the tyrant into a pool of lava.
It is revealed in the epilogue that Ripto survived his battle with Spyro and was being used as a toy by one of Spyro's friends, an adult dragon.
In the epilogue of Year of the Dragon, Ripto and Gnasty Gnorc were holding a summit to discuss "The Spyro problem". A picture of Ripto can also be found on the underside of Spyro's Skateboard, and a skateboard trick, the Raging Ripto, is named after him.
While technically not Ripto himself, the game's second boss, Spike, not only bares a striking resemblance to Ripto, but also fights in a very similar manner to Ritpo's first (and technically second) phase during his Ritpo's Rage fight.
One year later, Ripto successfully attacked the Dragon Realms, scattering the Dragonflies far and wide and leaving the young dragons defenseless. Once again, he was foiled by Spyro during a battle in which he turns into a giant monster.
Later, Ripto formed an alliance with Dr. Neo Cortex to destroy their enemies, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. They start by genetically modifying Ripto's "Riptoc" minions and disguising them as Crash and Spyro, leading the two heroes to believe they are against each other. Instead of fighting one another like Ripto and Dr. Neo Cortex had wanted, Spyro and Crash began working together to defeat their arch-nemesises and free the world once again.
- The manual for Spyro 2 Gateway to Glimmer says that Ripto was picked on at school as a child. He became so used to not joining in with games that now he only wants to ruin everyone else's fun.
- Ripto got his name because Spyro's Japanese Katakana name (スパイロ) looked like the word "Ripto".
- He appeared in the epilogue of Spyro 3 with Gnasty Gnorc discussing the "Spyro Problem". A picture of him can be found, oddly enough, on the underside of Spyro's Skateboard.
- Also in Spyro 3, a skateboard trick, the Raging Ripto, is named after him. This is performed by doing either two front flips or two black flips and three side rolls, essentially a Gnasty Gnorc with a extra roll. It is the highest scoring trick in the game, giving 3000 points the first time it is performed.
- As a dinosaur, Ripto apparently has a good sense of smell, as when he arrives in Avalar, he sniffs the air to conclude dragons weren't there. And in Spyro's arrival in Glimmer, Ripto immediately smells Spyro's presence before actually noticing him.
- Ripto is one of the main villians to make numerous recurring appearances in the Classic Spyro games, despite his apparent defeat in Spyro: Ripto's Rage!.
- Despite the implication that Gulp had swallowed Ripto's Scepter in Ripto's Rage prior to recreating it with the Power Crystal, during the boss fights against Crush and Gulp and the "Gulp Defeated" cutscene, Ripto is actually seen holding his Scepter.
- Despite Ripto's apparent hate for dragons, one of his servants, Crush, is a riptoc that somewhat resembles a dragon, only his wings are VERY tiny (barely noticable in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!) and is given a club, and supposedly cannot breathe fire.
- Emperor Percival Tachyon, the main antagonist in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, is rumored to be based on Ripto: they are both evil dictators who hate the species that the protagonist is (Ripto hating Dragons, Tachyon hating Lombaxes).
- Tachyon also uses a scepter, but it's unknown if he is a wizard, like Ripto.
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly - Hunter the Cheetah|
Bianca the Rabbit - Spirit - Zoe
Crush - Gulp
|Alligator Farmers - Bartholomew - Bears - Dragons - Dragonflies - Moneybags - Monkey Monks - Rodtikiney - Pigs - Professors - Thieves - Yetis|
Dragonfly Dojo - Crop Circle Country - Luau Island - Cloud 9 - Monkey Monastery - Honey Marsh - Thieves Den - Jurassic Jungle - Chateau Ripto
|Dragonflies - Gems|
|Spyro the Dragon - Sheila the Kangaroo - Agent 9 the Monkey|
|Ripto - Crush - Gulp|
|Hunter - Zoe - Bianca - Moneybags -Bentley - Professor|
|Sunny Plains - Celestial Plains - Starry Plains|
Country Farm - Shamrock Isle - Canyon Hop - Minty Mines - Temple of Dune - Tiki Tropics - Alpine Adobe - Crush's Dungeon - Candy Lane - Haunted Hills - Winter Mesa - Watertopia - Rumble Jungle - Lunar Ledges - Arctic Outback - Gulp's Overlook - Moon Fondue - Gypsy Road - Dreamy Castle - Volcano Vaults - Ripto's Mondo Volcano - Ripto's Volcano (Boss)
|Mushroom Speedway - Country Speedway - Honeycomb Speedway - Harbor Speedway|
|Buzz's Dungeon - Spike's Arena - Scorch's Pit - Sorceress's Lair|
|Crawdad Farm - Spider Town - Starfish Reef - Bugbot Factory|
|Dragon Eggs - Gems - Rhynocs|
|Spyro - Sparx - Ripto - Sgt. Byrd - Moneybags - Hunter - Bianca - Agent 9|
|Virtual Playground - Dragon Shores - Fairy Library - Yeti Serengeti - Byrd Barracks - Thieves' Guild - Rabbit Habitat - Banana Savannah - Kangaroo Hoodoos - Moneybags' Mansion - Cheetah Spot Spa - Professor's Secret Lab - Rhynocs n' Clocks - Chateau Ripto|
|Gems - Homeworld - Ripto - Dragon Eggs - Heart of Lands|