Purple Dragons are a special and rare breed of dragon; a status that was first introduced in Spyro: Shadow Legacy. This breed later became a major plot device in The Legend of Spyro series, and made an appearance in the Skylanders series.
In the original Spyro series, Purple Dragons weren't a major plot device nor were they legendary. There were a total of two known Purple Dragons who were included in this status: Spyro and the Sorcerer. Though several minor dragons, namely Alban, Halvor, Ivor, Ragnar, Asher, Sadiki, Claude, Mazi, Azizi, Obasi and Baruti, were also purple.
It wasn't until Spyro: Shadow Legacy that the special status of the Purple Dragons was introduced into the series. They, like Spyro, are a special breed of dragon who are gifted with powerful magical energy. That energy is strong enough to withstand the negative and dark effects of magic.
The Legend of Spyro series
- “There was once a dragon, long ago, whose raw power was far greater than anyone had ever seen or... could imagine. At first, he mastered fire... which was odd because he was not a fire dragon. Then came ice and wind... and other abilities none thought possible.”
- —The Chronicler
In The Legend of Spyro trilogy, Purple Dragons are born once every ten generations, and can master all of the elements, as well as other abilities the Guardian dragons thought were not possible, including time itself. It is said that the purple dragon is supposed to bring justice, hope, and peace to the Dragon Realms.
Purple Dragons have the ability to harness the power of all of the elements (Fire, Ice, Earth, Electricity, Wind, etc.), while all other dragons are capable of breathing one particular element. The signature ability of the Purple Dragon is Aether, both Light and Dark.
Malefor has also stated that he is eternal, which may be another ability that Purple Dragons possess, making them immortal.
Notable Purple Dragons
There have only been two known Purple Dragons in The Legend of Spyro series, Malefor and Spyro. It is unknown if there were any other Purple Dragons before them. The Chronicler claimed Malefor to be the first Purple Dragon, though this fact has been challenged by Malefor himself, who assured Spyro that there were many before him.
The destiny of the Purple Dragon is to direct the fate of an era. Malefor believed that their destiny was to destroy the world. However, despite what Malefor stated, he abandoned his true calling and embraced the darkness, which twisted his views of the Purple Dragon's destiny. Unlike Malefor, Spyro saved the world instead. It should be noted that while Malefor needed the Destroyer to bring about what he saw was the destiny of the purple dragon by destroying the world, Spyro was capable of undoing the Destroyer's devastation with only his power.
In the Skylanders franchise, Spyro came from a rare line of magical Purple Dragons that originated from a faraway land. He and Malefor are currently the only Purple Dragons shown in the series. Although Spyro can harness the power of the other elements, he prefers to master fire. He can also use the sinister magic of The Darkness (or other dark influences) and combine its power with his own, becoming Dark Spyro.
Purple Dragons share the same qualities as their Legend of Spyro counterpart, but they are associated with element of Magic. Aided by their magical energy, they are gifted with the power to harness the power of all of the other elements, including the power of darkness.
- In the Classic series, in Spyro: Shadow Legacy, Zoe commented that Purple Dragons, like Spyro, really are powerful when he wasn't affected by the Shadow Realm and defeated the dark creatures due to his powerful magic energy. This statement is possibly what gave the producers of the Legend of Spyro trilogy the idea of the legendary status of the Purple Dragon in the Legend series, as they were the ones who also produced Shadow Legacy.
- Of course it is still possible that the status existed in the early games given that out of all the hundreds of dragons, only 13 dragons are purple.
- In Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, one of the rarest, if not most rare, dragon is the Purple Dragon, who believe themselves to be the lords of all dragonkind.
- The colour purple is often associated with royalty, reinforcing the idea that purple dragons have a higher potential for magic.
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly - Hunter the Cheetah|
Bianca the Rabbit - Blink the Mole - Tomas
Red - Ice Minion - Fire Minion
|Adama - Akello - Amp - Aqua - Artigan - Astor - Bandit - Bears - Bonebuilders - Brigid - Bruno - Cho-Lei|
Dirt - Dragons - Ember - Fairies - Flame - Fonsworthy - Fransisco - Glug - Gronk - Hunter the Cheetah
Isabel - Kasi - Laird - Longorin - Lucia - Lumpy - Magnus - Midian - Moles - Moneybags - Mr. Funderlic - Mrs. Funderlic
Neema - Ooga - Pablo - Panthanitis - Pastemolle - Professor - Pullosin -Rabbits - Sensei - Sis - Skipper - Sofia
Teresa - Titan - Trina - Willard - Wizards - Zoe
Dragon Shores - Dragon Dojo - Dragon Village - Wizard Peak - Bear Forest - Cliff Town
Savannah - Tree Tops - Skelos Badlands
Lost Fleet - Moleville
|Dragon Kata - Shadow Realm - Gems - Eggs - Magic - Shadowstone - Relics|
|The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning - The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night |
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
|The Eternal Night Promotional Movies - Cancelled 3D film|