|This article is about the character in the classic series. You may be looking for the character in The Legend of Spyro series.|
- “Is it just me, or is she kinda cute when she's angry?”
- —Hunter the Cheetah
Hunter is a laid-back, physically talented, and somewhat gullible character. While he's a loyal friend of Spyro and is knowledgeable about basic tasks (e.g. jumping), he seems to have trouble grasping the gravity of Spyro's missions. Hunter is, at times, naïve and cowardly, and he can be tricked relatively easily. He is also forgetful as seen when he told Spyro that he lost his running shoes and hasn't found them since.
Like his name implies, he is an exceptional archer, and is strong and agile enough to hold his own in a fight, if need be. He is also a phenomenal skateboarder, and expresses jealousy when Spyro breaks his skateboarding records and pride when he doesn't. He also seems to be a bit of a conspiracy buff, with an interest in space and extraterrestrials (especially sheep in Flying Sheep Saucers).
Like most cats, Hunter hates to get wet. In Aquaria Towers, Desert Ruins, and Luau Island, he is seen underwater wearing a purple SCUBA suit and goggles. However, doing so protects his fur from getting wet, something which he despises, as stated in Spyro: Year of the Dragon.
Hunter is a very skilled adventurer and is very good at hunting, as his name implies. Hunter seems to enjoy heading to far off places, as he appears happy in every game depending on his location. He doesn't do much but slack off, skateboard, etc. He also likes to compete and test his limits.
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!
It was Hunter's fault that Ripto entered Avalar in the first place, as Hunter's suggestions for Super Portal coordinated 22475, which was his birthday (22/4/75). The coordinates happened to bring Ripto, Crush, and Gulp to the realm. He made amends by helping Elora and the Professor bring Spyro to Avalar. However, Hunter had doubts about Spyro, and was concerned that it was a bad idea to bring a dragon to the realm after reading the Professor's book about Dragons, knowing that they sounded much more dangerous than Ripto himself.
Despite these doubts, he continued to help Spyro throughout his quest, and developed a close friendship with the dragon after Ripto's defeat, changing his opinions on all Dragons. In the epilogue, it is revealed that Hunter's scuba diving career got cut a little short after being attacked by a black shark.
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
After Ripto's defeat, Hunter had moved to the Dragon Realms where he participated in the Year of the Dragon festival, which left him, Spyro and the Dragons exhausted. While the dragon eggs were being stolen by mysterious creatures led by Bianca, she stepped on Hunter's tail by accident, causing him to release a yowl of pain loud enough to awake the other dragons to the thief's presence. However, they were unable to stop Bianca from stealing the last dragon egg.
Hunter followed Spyro to the Forgotten Worlds in order to return the dragon eggs stolen by the Sorceress. At this time, he fell in love with Bianca, whom he eventually managed to win over, and who helped them defeat her former mistress. After the Sorceress' defeat, Hunter told Elora, the Professor, and Sheila to not tell Spyro where he went. It was later revealed and found out by Spyro that Hunter and Bianca were dating, watching the fireworks in the Fireworks Factory world.
In the epilogue, Hunter ended up babysitting several of the baby dragons, and discovered that it was harder than it looked.
Spyro: Season of Ice
Spyro: Season of Flame
Much like last time, Hunter mostly stuck around to help Spyro out with hints on how to glide and jump, use platforms, break rocks, and finds a couple of lost fireflies for Spyro.
Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs
During the accidental opening of a portal to Ripto's home, Hunter can be found hanging out at the Cheetah Spot Spa. Being the "cool cat" that he was, he promised Spyro the Heart of the Spa if he can find some "cool" items.
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
At the time of Red's attack on the Dragon Realms, Hunter came into his own by helping Spyro with tasks he could not perform by himself such as flying, jumping, and shooting things from a distance using his trusty bow and arrow. He was seen with a green leather strap with a quiver on his back and his bow. Hunter even came to Spyro's rescue when the young dragon was captured and imprisoned within the Ice Citadel by Red's forces.
Spyro: Shadow Legacy
At the end of the summer, Hunter left the Dragon Realms and returned home to Avalar to visit his cheetah village in the Savannah. While there, he and the other cheetahs were trapped in the Shadow Realm but were soon rescued by Spyro. Kasi and the other cheetahs blamed Spyro for causing the Calamity, and soon blamed Hunter for siding with him, throwing them both in prison. Spyro escaped and brought a letter to Hunter's father, Akello, who then cleared their names.
- In Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!, Hunter entered in the code 2-2-4-7-5 on the Superportal keypad, claiming that it was his birthday as he entered it. This was thought to be February 24th 1975, 2/24/75 in American Date Format to many US fans. However, Insomniac Games, the original developer, have indicated that it was meant to be 22nd April 1975, 22/4/75 in European Date Format.
- Born on the 22nd April 1975, this makes him 24 years old in Ripto's Rage!, and 43 in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy.
- Hunter seems to have an odd attraction to Flying Sheep Saucers, or at least, they have an odd attraction to him; in every Speedway level in Year of the Dragon, if you find him, you can play as Hunter in a series of mini-games, all dealing with his attempt at thwarting an alien sheep invasion.
- Unlike many anthropomorphic animal characters, Hunter does not wear any clothing in most of his appearances, though he does wear pads and helmets, a wetsuit for the manta ray minigames in Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon as well as a pair of shorts, for the skateboarding minigames in Year of the Dragon.
- In Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!/Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer and in other games such as Spyro: A Hero's Tail, Hunter's eyes are blue, but in Spyro: Year of the Dragon, his eyes are green or dark green, except for in the second "Dragon Realms"-scene of the cutscene "An Evil Plot Unfolds", in which his eyes are mistakenly made grey-brown.
- Hunter's Japanese voice actor is Hiroaki Hirata, the official Japanese dub-over artist of Johnny Depp. He also voiced Balthier in Final Fantasy XII.
- In the GBA version of The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, the silhouette of Hunter's classic model was used instead of one that resembles his Legend counterpart's.
- In Mushroom Speedway, when Hunter is hit by the UFOs, he can be heard screaming.
- Sometimes, Hunter's coat is not lit correctly to the rest of his body.
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly - Hunter the Cheetah|
Bianca the Rabbit - Spirit - Zoe
Crush - Gulp
|Alligator Farmers - Bartholomew - Bears - Dragons - Dragonflies - Moneybags - Monkey Monks - Rodtikiney - Pigs - Professors - Thieves - Yetis|
Dragonfly Dojo - Crop Circle Country - Luau Island - Cloud 9 - Monkey Monastery - Honey Marsh - Thieves Den - Jurassic Jungle - Chateau Ripto
|Dragonflies - Gems|
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx|
|Hunter - Zoe - Bianca - Moneybags - Professor|
|Autumn Fairy Home - Spring Fairy Home - Winter Fairy Home - Summer Fairy Home|
Market Mesa - Lava Prairie - Mermaid Coast - Hummingbird Fort - Panda Gardens - Honey Marsh
Time Machine Lab - Roman City - Twilight Bulb Factory - Dusty Trails - Star Park - Grendor's Lair
|Stone Age Speedway - Ice Age Speedway - Aqua Age Speedway - Space Age Speedway|
|Ant Farm - Wasp City - Caterpillar Gardens - Beetle Burrows|
|Fairies - Rhynocs -Gems|
|Spyro the Dragon - Sheila the Kangaroo - Agent 9 the Monkey|
|Ripto - Crush - Gulp|
|Hunter - Zoe - Bianca - Moneybags -Bentley - Professor|
|Sunny Plains - Celestial Plains - Starry Plains|
Country Farms - Shamrock Isle - Canyon Hop - Minty Mines - Temple of Dune - Tiki Tropics - Alpine Adobe - Crush's Dungeon - Candy Lane - Haunted Hills - Winter Mesa - Watertopia - Rumble Jungle - Lunar Ledges - Arctic Outback - Gulp's Overlook - Moon Fondue - Gypsy Road - Dreamy Castle - Volcano Vaults - Ripto's Mondo Volcano - Ripto's Volcano (Boss)
|Gems - Rhynocs|
|Spyro - Sparx - Ripto - Sgt. Byrd - Moneybags - Hunter - Bianca - Agent 9|
|Virtual Playground - Dragon Shores - Fairy Library - Yeti Serengeti - Byrd Barracks - Thieves' Guild - Rabbit Habitat|
Banana Savannah - Kangaroo Hoodoos - Moneybags' Mansion - Cheetah Spot Spa - Professor's Secret Lab
Rhynocs n' Clocks - Chateau Ripto
|Gems - Homeworld - Ripto - Dragon Eggs - Heart of Lands|
|Spyro the Dragon - Hunter the Cheetah|
Sparx the Dragonfly - Sgt. James Byrd - Blink the Mole
|Red (Mecha Form)|
Gnasty Gnorc - Ineptune - Mammoth
|Amp - Aqua - Astor - Bentley the Yeti - Ember - Flame - Fredneck - Freezia - Ice Princess - Lily - Magnus|
- Mergatroids - Moneybags - Mother Turtle - Mrs. Shoutfire - Otto - Peggy - Phil - Professor - Teena - Titan
- Tomas - Trina - Wally - Zoe
|Dragon Kingdom - Lost Cities - Icy Wilderness - Volcanic Isle|
Dragon Village - Crocovile Swamp - Dragonfly Falls - Coastal Remains - Cloudy Domain - Sunken Ruins
- Frostbite Village - Gloomy Glacier - Ice Citadel - Stormy Beach - Molten Mount - Magma Falls - Dark Mine
- Red's Lab
|Gnasty's Cave - Watery Tomb - Red's Chamber - Red's Lair|
|Island Speedway - Cloudy Speedway - Iceberg Aerobatics - Lava Palaver|
|Gems - Dark Gems - Light Gems - Dragon Eggs|
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly - Hunter the Cheetah|
Bianca the Rabbit - Blink the Mole - Tomas
Red - Ice Minion - Fire Minion
|Adama - Akello - Amp - Aqua - Artigan - Astor - Bandit - Bears - Bonebuilders - Brigid - Bruno - Cho-Lei|
Dirt - Dragons - Ember - Fairies - Flame - Fonsworthy - Fransisco - Glug - Gronk - Hunter the Cheetah
Isabel - Kasi - Laird - Longorin - Lucia - Lumpy - Magnus - Midian - Moles - Moneybags - Mr. Funderlic - Mrs. Funderlic
Neema - Ooga - Pablo - Panthanitis - Pastemolle - Professor - Pullosin -Rabbits - Sensei - Sis - Skipper - Sofia
Teresa - Titan - Trina - Willard - Wizards - Zoe
Dragon Shores - Dragon Dojo - Dragon Village - Wizard Peak - Bear Forest - Cliff Town
Savannah - Tree Tops - Skelos Badlands
Lost Fleet - Moleville
|Dragon Kata - Shadow Realm - Gems - Eggs - Magic - Shadowstone - Relics|
|Spyro - Sparx - Hunter - Sgt Byrd - Agent 9 - Sheila - Bentley - Blink|
|The Legend of Spyro series|
|Spyro - Cynder|
|Spyro the Dragon (Dark) (Legendary) - Gill Grunt - Trigger Happy (Legendary) - Cynder - Terrafin|
Stealth Elf (Legendary) - Chop Chop (Legendary) - Eruptor - Ignitor (Legendary) - Prism Break - Stump Smash
Flameslinger - Zap - Ghost Roaster - Voodood - Bash (Legendary) - Sonic Boom
- Drobot - Boomer - Whirlwind (Polar) - Dino-Rang - Zook - Wrecking Ball - Sunburn - Camo
Wham-Shell - Slam Bam (Legendary) - Drill Sergeant - Lightning Rod - Warnado -
Double Trouble (Royal) - Hex