Heroic Challenges are a special kind of training level in the console versions of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure and Skylanders: Giants. They must be completed within a set amount of time and reward a stat bonus when completed. Each Skylander has their own Heroic Challenge, but all Skylanders can do all of them.
In Spyro's Adventure, the Heroic Challenges are playable after rescuing Cali in Perilous Pastures and then talking to her in the Ruins. In Giants, the Heroic Challenges will be playable after Junkyard Isles and talking to Cali in the Dread-Yacht. To unlock a specific challenge, the corresponding Skylander must be linked to that save game. In addition, in Giants, only Skylanders with an orange base can unlock the challenges, not Skylanders with a green base.
List of Challenges
|1||Warnado||Chompy Chomp-Down||Elemental Power (+9)||Take out 100 Chompies and other enemies.|
|2||Ghost Roaster||This Bomb's for You||Armor (+3)||Fight Trolls to find the 5 singing gems.|
|3||Wrecking Ball||Jump For It!||Speed (+8)||Jump around and collect all charms.|
|4||Spyro||Where Art Thou, Paintings||Critical Hit (+5)||Destroy the 6 ghostly paintings.|
|5||Prism Break||Lair of the Giant Spiders||Critical Hit (+5)||Clear this mine of 6 giant spiders.|
|6||Lightning Rod||Fight, Teleport, Fight!||Armor (+3)||Fight and teleport your way to the tribal mask.|
|7||Hex||The Three Teleporters||Armor (+3)||Find the correct path to the Golden Spork.|
|8||Dino-Rang||Stop, Sheep Thieves!||Armor (+3)||Rescue 6 sheep from thieves inside the mine.|
|9||Bash||Mining for Charms||Critical Hit (+5)||Find magical ore buried within the rocks.|
|10||Series 1 Cynder / Series 2 Chop Chop||Dungeoness Creeps||Critical Hit (+5)||Search the dungeon for 13 armber medallions.|
|11||Ignitor||Mining Is The Key||Speed (+8)||Break rocks to find the keys to find the treasure.|
|12||Stump Smash||Mission Achomplished||Armor (+3)||Pick a path and take out the Chompies.|
|13||Series 1 Chop Chop||Pod Gauntlet||Elemental Power (+9)||Find your way through the pod maze.|
|14||Sonic Boom||Time's A-Wastin'||Critical Hit (+5)||Take out enemies for extra time needed to exit.|
|15||Drobot||Save The Purple Chompies!||Speed (+8)||Hit Green Chompies, Not Purple! WARNING: This is tough!|
|16||Terrafin||Spawner Cave||Critical Hit (+5)||Take out 100 Chompies by finding the best spawners.|
|17||Sunburn||Arachnid Antechamber||Armor (+3)||Defeat 8 Giant Spiders in this dungeon.|
|18||Trigger Happy||Hobson's Choice||Speed (+8)||Fight and teleport your way to find the antique vanity.|
|19||Eruptor||Isle of the Automatons||Elemental Power (+9)||Destroy Automatons and other enemies to score 75 points.|
|20||Double Trouble||You Break It, You Buy It!||Speed (+8)||Hit trolls, not paintings. WARNING: This is tough!|
|21||Stealth Elf||Minefield Mishap||Speed (+8)||Make it through the minefield. WARNING: This is tough!|
|22||Whirlwind||Lobs O' Fun||Critical Hit (+5)||Earn a tasty treat by taking out pirates.|
|23||Voodood||Spell Punked!||Armor (+3)||Retrieve the ancient book of magic from the Spell Punks.|
|24||Wham-Shell||Charm Hunt||Critical Hit (+5)||Head for the islands and collect 75 charms.|
|25||Camo||Flip the Script||Armor (+3)||Choose the right path to find the Log of Nort.|
|26||Series 1 Zook||You've Stolen My Hearts!||Critical Hit (+5)||Stop Thieves from stealing the jewel hearts.|
|27||Flameslinger||Bombs to the Wall||Elemental Power (+9)||Use bombs to find 25 magic charms.|
|28||Boomer||Operation: Sheep Freedom||Critical Hit (+5)||Rescue all the sheep from their Troll captors.|
|29||Gill Grunt||Jailbreak!||Armor (+3)||Rescue 6 Mabu from the Cyclopses Islands.|
|30||Drill Sergeant||Environmentally Unfriendly||Elemental Power (+9)||Bust 7 of the Troll's pipes.|
|31||Slam Bam||Chemical Cleanup||Elemental Power (+9)||Score points by destroying barrels of the right color.|
|32||Zap||Break the Cats||Armor (+3)||
Destroy the cat statues. WARNING: This is tough!
|33||Flashwing||Flame Pirates On Ice||Elemental Power (+5)||
Defeat the Flamethrower Pirates.
|34||Sprocket||Skylands Salute||Armor (+3)||
Raise all the flags.
|35||Tree Rex||S.A.B.R.I.N.A.||Speed (+4)||
Save the Gecko Chorus and their King.
|36||Pop Fizz||The Sky Is Falling||Critical Hit (+5)||
Destroy the Troll's large cannon.
|37||Jet-Vac||Nort's Winter Classic||Armor (+3)||
Make your way around this icy course.
|38||Eye-Brawl||Break The Fakes!||Speed (+4)||
Put the Trolls out of business by destroying the fakes.
|39||Shroomboom||Baking With Batterson||Armor (+3)||
Bring fruit to Batterson for a sweet reward.
|40||Bouncer||Blobber's Folly||Elemental Power (+5)||
Help Blobbers escape the dungeon.
|41||Fright Rider||Delivery Day||Speed (+4)||
Deliver gifts to familiar characters.
|42||Crusher||Give A Hoot||Speed (+4)||
Return lost owls to their nests.
|43||Series 2 Cynder||Zombie Dance Party||Critical Hit (+5)||
Find all the Zombie heads.
|44||Series 2 Zook||Shepherd's Pie||Speed (+4)||
Bring sheep back to their pens.
|45||Hot Head||Watermelon's Eleven||Elemental Power (+5)||
Dodge bombs to collect 100 watermelons.
|46||Hot Dog||A Real Goat Getter||Armor (+3)||
Go get the Hermit's goats!
|47||Ninjini||Wooly Bullies||Critical Hit (+5)||
Find the trolls in sheep's clothing.
|48||Chill||The Great Pancake Slalom||Speed (+4)||
Race against time through an icy slalom.
|49||Swarm||Shoot First, Shoot Later||Critical Hit (+5)||
Fire cannons at flying barrels.
|50||Thumpback||The King's Breech||Armor (+3)||
Defend King Capybara's castle against an Arkeyan Army!
Tips & Tricks
- Completing the challenges with a fast Skylander first will help players become familiar with the route. This will make it easier when attempting that challenge with a slow Skylander.
- Since all challenges are time-based, doing challenges that grant speed bonuses first will make the other challenges easier.
- Many challenges require to hit enemies placed on a platform by using a bomb. If this proves too challenging for someone with the Wii version, the player can instead use the Ghost Pirate Swords from the Pirate Seas adventure pack or Sparx the Dragonfly from the Dragon's Peak adventure pack to easily take them out.
- Some challenges allow different Skylanders to have elemental advantages. For example, Earth Skylanders have an advantage in Bash's challenge and Ignitor's and Water skylanders have the advantage in Wham-Shell's challenge. You may wish to try the challenge with that element first.
- Players can also complete these challenges on their friends' consoles. This means it is not needed to own all Skylanders to get maximum power.
- Some challenges require you to avoid attacking certain things. Some upgrades for Skylanders (like Zap's Lightning Strikes Twice, Sonic Boom's Echolocation, or Ghost Roaster's Unfinished business) make these challenges a lot harder, so you may wish to do them before upgrading. If you already bought the upgrade, then resetting your Skylander might be the easiest way to complete the challenge.
- However, some people like Trigger Happy have the upgrade that makes some Heroics harder in an upgrade path (Bouncing Bullets), so if you have a series 2 Trigger Happy, you can just change the path to make it easier to complete it.
- Even if a variant of a Skylander is added first to the collection before the original versions, such as Legendary Spyro, Legendary Chop Chop, Legendary Bash, Legendary Trigger Happy, and Dark Spyro, the Heroic Challenges can still be unlocked.
- There are 5 Heroic Challenges that are unplayable in Skylanders Giants. They are S1 Chop Chop, S1 Zook's, Dino-Rang, Boomer and Voodood. As such, the only way to gain stats from those Heroic Challenges is to play them in Spyro's Adventure. New Skylanders and Giants, as such, are unable to get those stats from Spyro's Adventure.
- In some Heroic Challenges (mostly ones where you have to defeat specific enemies or a number of enemies), tough enemies with lots of health do not have as much health.
- Lightning Rod has a glitch for the PS3 and 360 where the tribal mask will not appear at the end of his challenge for any of the Skylanders, once the Quicksilver Vault has been completed on the save file. The solution to this is to start a new game, or select an existing game where the Quicksilver Vault hasn't been completed yet.
- Some names of the Heroic Challenges are plays on existing phrases or titles. For example: Thumpback's Heroic challenge "The King's Breech" is a pun of "The King's Speech".
- Bouncer's Heroic Challenge is filled with bounce pads, making it one of the only challenges to actually be based on the Skylander's name.