|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the boss level in the first game.|
- "Simple? No threat? Ugly?! That does it!"
- —Gnasty Gnorc
Gnasty Gnorc (ナスティ・ノーク Nasuti Nōku in Japanese) is a big green Gnorc who was the main antagonist in Spyro the Dragon, and was one of the supporting villains in Spyro: A Hero's Tail. As the first major villain Spyro defeats, Gnasty is referenced in nearly every game in the classic series.
His name is pronounced as "Nasty Norc," without the Gs. However, the interviewer at the start of the first game mispronounces the Gs as "Guh-Nasty Guh-Norc."
Gnasty Gnorc is a mean, ugly, greedy, bad tempered, and "nasty" Gnorc who hates Dragons. He is unintelligent but sensitive about his appearance and will not hesitate to attack those who stand in his way. Gnasty also resents the Dragons for banishing him to the Dragon Junkyard and constantly insulting his appearance. This eventually drives him to launch an attack on the Dragon Realms.
Gnasty Gnorc was originally an inhabitant of the Dragon Realms, but as time went on, he found it hard to live with the Dragons' rules and customs. He became chaotic and unruly as he gazed at the Dragons' treasure cache of gems that were not only beautiful to look at but also showed him the reflection of his own ugly mug. As time went on, Gnasty began causing mischief which soon escalated into trouble in the Dragon Realms as he began learning and meddling with magic. So the Dragons banished Gnasty to a wasteland world known as the Dragon Junk Yard, where he was far enough away to do whatever he wanted without hurting any other residents.
After a while, Gnasty claimed the junkyard as his kingdom and renamed the wastelands "Gnasty's World." He realized however, that his power was nothing without minions to command. After a while, he found a spell that can turn gems into Gnorcs and other unsightly beasts, and so he began "borrowing" the Dragons' treasure and creating soldiers out of them to serve his cause. The Dragons knew of this, but believed it would be best to let it go for the time being, as they thought that even with such man-power, Gnasty was still no threat to them.
Dragon Realms Invasion
One day, during the creation of a documentary video for the DNN (Dragon News Network), Lindar, when asked about Gnasty Gnorc, called Gnasty "ugly" and other derogatory terms. Gnasty, who was watching, became enraged and encased every dragon in crystal (except for Spyro, apparently due to his small size). He then sent his Gnorcs throughout the Dragon Realms to recover all the gems they could find to make into more soldiers, and to deal with any dragons that may have avoided imprisonment. He also hired thieves to steal the remaining twelve dragon eggs in an attempt to fully exterminate the Dragons. Gnasty Gnorc placed a single boss in charge of each one of the realms: Toasty, Dr. Shemp, Blowhard, Metalhead, and Jacques. Since Spyro was the sole remaining Dragon, he took it upon himself to free all the other Dragons, recover the gems and eggs, and defeat Gnasty and his armies.
Several of the dragons Spyro freed went to Gnasty's World, presumably to battle Gnasty themselves. However, Gnasty simply re-froze them in crystal.
In the final battle between Spyro and Gnasty Gnorc, Gnasty constantly fired beams at Spyro (which don't encase him in crystal, but rather harm him instead), all the while standing safely on a ledge too high for Spyro, forcing him to chase down a thief to get the key needed to open a door to another thief to get another key to reveal a stepping stone, to reach Gnasty. Once Spyro reached Gnasty, the big Gnorc ran away. Spyro chased Gnasty down throughout the realm and got close enough to flame him. Afterwards, Gnasty entered a lava tunnel, with Spyro in hot pursuit. The young dragon got to the end where Gnasty was waiting, and Spyro flamed the Gnorc a second time, finishing Gnasty Gnorc off and ending his threat.
After Gnasty's defeat, Spyro went on to Gnasty's secret treasure trove to find all the rest of the treasure Gnasty took from the dragons, which can only be done by freeing all the dragons and recovering all other gems in the realms.
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
It has been revealed that Gnasty Gnorc survived his battle with Spyro, as he appeared in the epilogue along with Ripto, where they were shown discussing the "Spyro problem."
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
In Spyro: A Hero's Tail, Red, an evil Dragon Elder, hired Gnasty Gnorc and his Gnorc army to assist him in his plans. When Spyro confronted Gnasty the second time, Gnasty claimed that he was the one who defeated Spyro, but Spyro corrects him. During this battle, Gnasty actually stood his ground without running away, and he took far more hits to defeat. Also, Gnasty's new armor made him immune to fire breath, meaning Spyro had to attack his exposed underpants. During this battle, Gnasty also used electricity as his primary attack, which he generated from the magic of Amp, a fairy trapped within his staff. Upon his defeat, Amp was freed and rewarded Spyro with Electricity Breath.
- In the first cutscene in Ripto's Rage!, Spyro mentions that he and Sparx had not visited Dragon Shores since they "kicked Gnasty Gnorc's butt."
- In Year of the Dragon in Enchanted Towers, Hunter claims he created a skateboarding move called "the Gnasty Gnorc." This move can actually be performed by doing two front or back flips and two side rolls.
- In Enter the Dragonfly, Ripto claims when he first found them, Crush and Gulp were "begging for work from Gnasty Gnorc."
- In Shadow Legacy, one of the books in the Dragon Shores hotel mentions Gnasty when it summarizes the plot of the first game.
- Gnasty was supposed to appear in Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly as co-antagonist alongside Ripto but did not because the creators were forced to speed up production for a winter release.
- Despite being the final boss in the first Spyro the Dragon game, he is defeated in merely two hits. Most of the previous bosses are defeated with at least three hits. The actual challenge of the fight is reaching him.
- In Spyro the Dragon, Gnasty Gnorc holds his staff in his left hand, implying he is left-handed, but in A Hero's Tail, he holds it in his right hand, implying that he might be ambidextrous.
- In Spyro: A Hero's Tail, Gnasty wears his armor from Spyro the Dragon under his Hero's Tail Armor.
- The Symbol on Gnasty's Shoulder plate in A Hero's Tail looks similar to the bottles found underwater in Coastal Remains in the same game.
- The Spyro the Dragon manual says Gnasty is the sloppiest Gnorc. This explains why gems are lying all over the ground in the game.
- In Spyro the Dragon, Gnasty responds in outrage to the description given during the interview at the start of the game. The way he pronounces the words, however, almost imply that he agrees with the description.
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly|
Fairies - Balloonists
Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Egg Thieves
|Artisans - Peace Keepers - Magic Crafters - Beast Makers - Dream Weavers - Gnorc Gnexus|
|Stone Hill - Dark Hollow - Town Square - Dry Canyon - Cliff Town - Ice Cavern - Alpine Ridge|
High Caves - Wizard Peak - Terrace Village - Misty Bog - Tree Tops - Dark Passage - Lofty Castle
- Haunted Towers - Gnorc Cove - Twilight Harbor - Gnasty's Loot
|Sunny Flight - Night Flight - Crystal Flight - Wild Flight - Icy Flight|
|Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Gnasty Gnorc|
|Dragons - Treasure - Dragon Eggs|
|Spyro the Dragon - Hunter the Cheetah|
Sparx the Dragonfly - Sgt. James Byrd - Blink the Mole
|Red (Mecha Form)|
Gnasty Gnorc - Ineptune - Mammoth
|Amp - Aqua - Astor - Bentley the Yeti - Ember - Flame - Fredneck - Freezia - Ice Princess - Lily - Magnus|
- Mergatroids - Moneybags - Mother Turtle - Mrs. Shoutfire - Otto - Peggy - Phil - Professor - Teena - Titan
- Tomas - Trina - Wally - Zoe
|Dragon Kingdom - Lost Cities - Icy Wilderness - Volcanic Isle|
Dragon Village - Crocovile Swamp - Dragonfly Falls - Coastal Remains - Cloudy Domain - Sunken Ruins
- Frostbite Village - Gloomy Glacier - Ice Citadel - Stormy Beach - Molten Mount - Magma Falls - Dark Mine
- Red's Lab
|Gnasty's Cave - Watery Tomb - Red's Chamber - Red's Lair|
|Island Speedway - Cloudy Speedway - Iceberg Aerobatics - Lava Palaver|
|Gems - Dark Gems - Light Gems - Dragon Eggs|