Desert Ruins is the location of the tomb of the Stone Golem, and a prime location for treasure hunters. When Spyro arrived, he encountered the famous explorer Tara and her skittish boyfriend Gus. The tomb is filled with deadly Scorpions of all shapes and sizes, as well as acidic water. Sheila and Hunter can also be found here.
- Andy (On a ledge)
- Nelly (On an island in a toxic pool)
- Lester (As Sheila; Complete half of the pathway)
- Pete (As Sheila; Complete the pathway)
- Sadie (Destroy six Rhynoc Shark Subs)
- Marty (Reach Tara)
- Hunter the Cheetah
- Destroy all of the seaweed
|Desert Ruins - Spyro: Year of the Dragon|
- When viewing the portal, the bottom part of the background is blue, but when entering the portal, and in the realm, the bottom part is green, like the ooze in the realm.
- One of the rats, Tara, is a spoof of Lara Croft, with a similar name, hairstyle, outfit and large assets.
- Another PlayStation character reference exists in the atlas page for this level. The eggs gained by Sheila are titled in the atlas as "Krash Kangaroo I" and "Krash Kangaroo II" as a reference to Crash Bandicoot, Spyro's Naughty Dog counterpart and fellow PlayStation mascot.