|This article is about the character from The Legend of Spyro series. You may be looking for the character from the Skylanders series.|
- "You can't stop me!"
- —Dark Spyro
Dark Spyro is a powerful dark form that Spyro gained during his fight against Gaul in The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night. It has since served as the dark side of the young purple hero in The Legend of Spyro series.
Although Dark Spyro is just like his normal counterpart, such as having a carefree attitude in his battle with foes like Gaul and having the nature of justice, he is also savage. In a state of fury, he will kill and never end his violent assaults, if anybody wants him to end it, like his loved ones. Additionally, the power of Dark Aether he holds constantly seeks to control Spyro's consciousness, and it would take some emotional anchor, such as love, to help free Spyro from this dark state.
Dark Spyro seems to have two forms varying in console. In the Playstation 2/Nintendo Wii of The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, Dark Spyro's purple scales turn into a black color, his horns, wings and claws turn into a greasy brown color, he has neon blanked eyes that have no irises, or blind-like eyes that only appear in gameplay cutscenes, two white symbol-like tattoos over each his shoulders and thighs, and two white spot-like tatoos above his eyes where is forehead is at, this trait only can be seen in the Playstation 2 gameplay if you look closely at his right or left side of his body and the front, and he also gains a dark aura and grey coatings over his attack energy trails and magenta particles that float and disappear as soon as they appear. And in the GBA version, Dark Spyro has grey wings, horns and fangs and blood red eyes and claws.
In this form, Dark Spyro has the ability to breathe Dark Aether. He can also release a series of lightning-speed melee attacks onto his enemies. Using the dark effects of Aether, Dark Spyro can also use Aether fury. His other abilities include levitating other objects around him to his disposal and turning enemies to stone using his Dark Aether attacks.
Dark Spyro even has amplified flight, meaning he can now descend slowly and longer and propel himself forward in the air.
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal NightDuring Spyro's battle with Gaul within the Well of Souls, he fell down into the lower floor of the mountain and got caught in the beam generated by the Lunar Alignment of the Celesial Moons which was used to free Malefor. Spyro accidentally combined with its energy, transforming him into a dark dragon. This change of events allowed Spyro to gain the upperhand in his duel with Gaul. When the Ape King demanded Spyro to finish him off, the young dragon hesitated, and Gaul laughed, calling Spyro a coward.
Possessed by the influence of Dark Aether, Spyro used his immense power to turn the advancing Gaul into stone and ultimately killed him out of cold blood. He proceeded to leap back into the beam of the Lunar Alignment, determined to stay in his dark form. Spyro was about to turn on Sparx and Cynder, but he struggled to gain control over his dark form. Cynder jumped into the air and quickly knocked Spyro out of the beam, freeing him from the Lunar Alignment's power and the influence of darkness. Spyro afterwards, felt hurt when he apologized to Sparx and Cynder that he couldn't stop the darkness from doing the actions he had done, before the Mountain of Malefor started to crumble around them.
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the DragonWhen Ignitus sacrificed himself to get Spyro and Cynder through the Belt of Fire, Spyro was devastated and refused to believe that his mentor had perished. Cynder told Spyro to let Ignitus's death go, but the darkness the purple dragon unintentionally gained in the Well of Souls three years prior took hold of him, transforming him back into Dark Spyro. He threatened to harm Cynder with levitating rocks as he was willing to go back into the Belt of Fire in an attempt to save Ignitus, telling Cynder that she couldn't stop him from doing so. However, Cynder's words managed to bring Spyro out of the dark influence and he returned to normal, accepting Ignitus's death. He sadly muttered that he felt alone without his mentor, but was then comforted by Cynder, who nuzzled him affectionately and told him gently that he wasn't alone.
After completing The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, a series of 'Dragon Challenges' are unlocked. As a reward for completing all five challenges, Dark Spyro becomes accessible in Story mode by pressing a certain button. This allows the player to control Dark Spyro for an infinite amount of time and switch between normal and dark. While dark, the regular elements are not available, but Dark Aether breath is used, being the most powerful available.
There is also a strong attack move by pressing a certain button. Once pressed, Spyro will do a series of fast, strong attacks that hit every enemy in range. The final smash is the strongest attack. Using this same attack move, Spyro can "fly" over some hazardous lakes or obstacles. It should be noted that, while the player can return to Spyro's regular form at any time, the Spyro in the in-game cut scenes will appear as Dark Spyro whilst in that form.
A glitch can be performed allowing players to ‘fly’. It can be performed in both versions. In the PlayStation 2 version, toggle to Ice and switch to Dark Spyro. In the Wii version, Toggle to Ice before an in-game cutscene and turn into Dark Spyro as the cutscene occurs. After performing these actions, repeatedly press the Secondary attack button.
Whilst Dark Spyro is not playable in The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, a similar breath to the Aether power is unlockable. By equipping a specific complete set of armor, both Spyro and Cynder can use Fury Breath. This is the most powerful breath in the game.
- It should also be noted that there is a similar form of Cynder called Dark Cynder seen in a cutscene in Malefor's Lair when she was once again put under Malefor's control to defeat Spyro.
- In the PlayStation 2 Version of The Eternal Night, it is actually possible (due to glitches) to combine Spyro's regular elemental attacks with Aether attacks. To do so, the player must start using the regular elemental attack, for example, the Electric Tornado, and then press R3 to transform into Dark Spyro whilst continuing the attack. Spyro will continue to perform the attack, but he will be in his Dark Spyro form. When using this method whilst charging an Electric Orb or a Polar Bomb, or an Earth Flail, or Breathing Fire, Spyro will start shooting Aether out of his mouth, yet the other attack will still be in use. If the player walks away from Spyro's previous position whilst still holding the attack, the original attack will remain in the same place as it was before.
- Dark Spyro also has a similar look to Dark Super Sonic from Sonic X.
- He does not appear in the Nintendo DS version of Dawn of The Dragon.
- During Spyro's transformation in Dawn of the Dragon, the dark energy used in the transformation from The Eternal Night was absent, indicating that the dark energy was stored inside Spyro laying dormant. It is also possible that the dark transformation can be triggered by extreme emotions shown by Spyro's intense grief and rage by Ignitus's sacrifice.
- Spyro's temptation to use the powers of his dark form are very similar in concept to the Force and the temptation of the Dark Side in Star Wars. This temptation to use Dark Powers is something which Darth Vader up until episode 6 couldn't resist. Coincidentally, Mark Hamill, the voice of Malefor, portrayed Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars trilogy.
- Spyro's Mana depletes much slower when using Aether than when using regular elements.
- Dark Spyro's Melee attacks take off less of Gaul's health than regular Spyro, most likely due to most of the power he possesses in that form is in his Elemental attacks.
- In the Gameboy Advance version of The Eternal Night, his eyes are red instead of white. His fangs and claws are also red and has grey wings and horns as well in this version.
- Dark Spyro's Aether Melee attack is strikingly similar to Shadow the Hedgehog's Chaos Attack, in example, both of these attacks are empowered by mysterious supernatural forces aether/chaos energy, they consist of a payload of attacks that may be various kicks, acrobatic-like flips, etc. after a single attack starts and succeeds onto a threat, even alternatively it can be used as limited mid-air travel, they can deal stronger damage onto enemies than the previous damage and they make the user invulnerable to all harm. However the only difference of these two similar attacks, is the length of time, speed and number of the attacks. If to understand this is to check out these attacks in gameplay and know yourself.
- There is a little animation glitch where if you use a fury and imput the cheat code, Dark Spyro will execute the other elemental furies you use, the advantage in gameplay, is attacking in more damage, for example you freeze an enemy while using Aether melee, burn foes while attacking, etc.
|Spyro - Sparx - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Cynder - Gaul - Chronicler|
|Dragon Temple - Dreamscape - Ancient Grove - Grove Underground|
- Fellmuth Arena - Pirate Fleet - White Isle - Celestial Caves - Mountain of Malefor
|Ape Soldiers - Ape Leaders - Ape Commanders - Toad Weeds - Bulb Spiders - Death Hounds - Dreadwings|
- Grove Worms - Grove Mites - Grove Beasts - Growths - Skavengers - Skurvywings
- Blundertails - Pirate Gunners - Armourdilloes - Stone Trolls - Fire Elementals -
Elemental Crystal Brutes - Crystal Ball Spiders
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether|
|Dragons - Apes - Spirit Gems - Scriber's Quills - Dragon Relics - Dragon Challenges|
|The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night Promotional Movies|
|Spyro - Sparx - Cynder - Hunter - Malefor - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Chronicler|
|Catacombs - Twilight Falls - Valley of Avalar - Warfang - Ruins of Warfang - Attack of the Golem|
The Dam - Burned Lands - Floating Islands - Malefor's Lair
|Grublins - Grublin Flies -Hero Grublins - Orcs - Hero Orcs -|
Trolls - Bowman Orcs - Wyverns - Shadow Apes
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether - Poison - Fear - Wind - Shadow|
|Dragons - Grublins - Spirit Gems - Armor - Green Chains - Elite Enemies|