- "The enemies here could be quite frightening, but you should watch the fools."
The Dark Passage (ナイトメア ロード 5-1 Nightmare Road 5-1 in Japanese) is a world which appears in the realm Dream Weavers. This world features both the highest amount of gems in a realm (500) and the highest number of dragons in a realm (5).
Dark Passage is a maze of floating mountains with tunnels, caverns, and caves carved into their sides. The marble stone archways and floors are about the only beauty here, for the inside of these eerie tunnels are usually pitch black with scarcely-placed lanterns. The magic here is almost suffocating, for anything that steps into the sable night tunnels can become twisted and formed into something terrifying. The Fools here are much different than the rest in Dream Weavers. They have been charged with taking care of the lights in the many caves, using a lantern. They will turn them on and off in a constant pattern, unless you use your fire breath on them, in which case they turn into a lamp for a short period of time. The central area is a giant pit with a large walkway spanning its distance. Don’t fall off, for the bottom is carved out and will deliver you all the way down into an endless abyss.
The Fools in this area hold lanterns. When the lantern is lit, the enemies, which are simple dogs and turtles, are small. When the light goes out, they turn into monstrous creatures. The dogs turn into giant red creatures that will eat Spyro in a similar manner to the plants in Misty Bog. The turtles grow larger, and spit out fireballs.
- Dark Passage is one of the few realms where Spyro does not do his aerial back flip when he arrives.
- The realm's music is notable for being the heaviest of the music tracks, as it features very distinct, powerful guitar chords, organ, and pounding drums. Because of this, the track had positive reception.
- Dark Passage shares its English name with a novel, which was also adapted into a 1940s film.
- The background in this level was reused in the Midnight Mountain homeworld in Spyro 3.
- In one of the areas with purple water, Spyro is able to walk on top of it.
- However, this glitch is fixed in the Japanese version.
- When releasing one of the dragons, Bakari, the background music for the cutscene is the music from Lofty Castle.
- In the late demo, Dark Passage has Artisans home music, is textured differently in various areas and some parts of the level are unfinished.
- This level has the most enemies in the game.
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly|
Fairies - Balloonists
Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Egg Thieves
|Artisans - Peace Keepers - Magic Crafters - Beast Makers - Dream Weavers - Gnorc Gnexus|
|Stone Hill - Dark Hollow - Town Square - Dry Canyon - Cliff Town - Ice Cavern - Alpine Ridge|
High Caves - Wizard Peak - Terrace Village - Misty Bog - Tree Tops - Dark Passage - Lofty Castle
- Haunted Towers - Gnorc Cove - Twilight Harbour - Gnasty's Loot
|Sunny Flight - Night Flight - Crystal Flight - Wild Flight - Icy Flight|
|Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Gnasty Gnorc|
|Dragons - Treasure - Dragon Eggs|